In my first post I mentioned Honey, now Honey is amazing! She is the sort of friend where you just click, you laugh at the same things and even though you are different in a lot of ways it doesn’t stop you! But I’m not going to lie, it’s not a walk in the park, its not a knife through butter when your best friend lives in a different state or even country its not easy to keep in touch.
Honey and I met on a holiday, we spent about 3-4 days together and it was probably the best part of the whole thing. Yeah sure I met other girls as the trip went on, but I knew when we had both shared secrets, had woken up at 10 to 5 on the day we were both leaving to spend ultimate time together and we were both crying when we finally had to say goodbye, that this was not your ordinary friendship. No, this friendship was something that I wanted to hang onto and never let go!
So we traded emails, our Mums numbers and our addresses and pinky promised each other we would write. And despite the odds, the fact we live kilometers apart we went out of our way to make it work.
I know I don’t have the worst of it, my best friend down where I live, Cherry moved from a country she had lived in for years back to Australia and she had worse time difference problems than me. So this is why I am writing this post so we can all share our tips for staying in touch! 🙂
- Check the time. Get a clock for you home screen of your laptop or check on the clock app on your phone, enter their location so you don’t end up trying to call when it is the middle of the night. Trust me, I’ve accidentally called Honey before when it has been 12am! The other person doesn’t appreciate it!!
- Download Skype. It is great for instant messaging and video chatting! I personally thoroughly recommend it! But, make sure you have good internet connection so the other person doesn’t constantly end up freezing on your screen!!
- Download other contact apps. Most people I know own a google account and a google account means google hangouts which is also a great way of texting. WhatsApp is also really good and I am sure there are heaps more!
- Follow your friend’s social media. Social media is a great way of keeping in touch, you can see what your friend has been up to and also on pretty much all Social Media you can direct message your friend. Which is a lot cheaper than the cost of texting an over seas number! But be careful with your privacy settings!!
- Save up and count down. This tip especially applies you if you are super close to the person. Basically save up enough money for a flight to and from where you BFF lives so you can see each other in person or count down the days, weeks, months on a calendar until you get to see them! Trust me every cross you put on a day of that calendar makes you feel heaps better knowing it is getting closer even if it is still months away!!
- Determination! I saved the most important for last! If you aren’t prepared to put the effort in to try to make it work, it’s not going to… you have to want it and be willing to put in the effort.
But remember I meant what I said before, it’s not easy and here, judgement aside we need to accept that and support each other on trying to make each others long distance friendships work! So I am offering my advice to you, for free!! 🙂 If you want to ask a question or want some advice please write a comment and say so! Or if you would prefer it was private, feel free to contact me on my Contact page.